Caligynephobia is the fear of beautiful women. The origin of the word cali is Greek (meaning beautiful), gyne is Greek (meaning woman or women) and phobia is Greek (meaning fear)
Causes of Caligynephobia
Scientists and researchers have spent years trying to figure out where phobias occur and start from. Most often, there isn’t a simple answer as there are many factors we need to account for when trying to diagnose the exact cause behind this anxiety disorder.
For some men, the phobia or fear of beautiful women is inherited. One might simply develop the personality-type that is more reactive, sensitive, fearful or anxious.
In short, Venustraphobia can arise from various factors, like:
- Genetic inheritance
- Direct negative association
- Observation and learning
- Amount of experience
- Level of stress
All phobias give rise to different kinds of symptoms in varying degrees, including physical, emotional or psychological reactions.
- Shaking, trembling
- Shortness of breath
- Sweaty hands
- Gastric disturbance: nausea, vomiting, headaches
- Gasping for breath, choking
- Crying, screaming
- Feeling like running away
- Loss of reality
- Feeling like being choked
- Fear of embarrassing yourself
- Thoughts of death or dying
- Feeling as if you will pass out, have a stroke or go blind
- Feeling that you will act foolish and be unable to control yourself
In extreme cases, the fear can impact the Venustraphobe’s relationships and self-esteem. He may not be able to perform well at work or school. This fear may even lead him to be ridiculed by people who do not take his phobia seriously. In some cases, the Venustraphobe may remain single his entire life.
Treatment for fear of beautiful women
Most phobias are treatable if you take action and follow the right procedures. Here are some steps that will bring you in the right direction.
The best way to beat Caligynephobia is through building of self-esteem. There are several ways to do that:
- Taking care of yourself
- Developing a support system
- Positive self-talk, changing self-talk and negative self-beliefs
- Dealing with feelings
- Positive visualization
- Setting personal goals and accomplishing them