Decidophobia is the fear of making decision. The origin of the word de-cido is Latin (meaning to cut off -as in end a discussion [and decisions making], possibly by cutting off heads-) phobia is Greek (meaning fear). Decidophobia is considered to be a specific phobia, which is discussed on the home page.
What are the symptoms of Decidophobia
Below, you will see some common symptoms of Decidophobia
- Anxiety when thinking of making decision
- constantly avoiding making decision
- unable to cope with their anxiety
- Muscle tension, shakiness and sweating
- may experience panic attack at that moment
The Causes of Decision Fear
So what causes an irrational reaction to decision making? The science is not precise, but so far phycologist and behavioral pathologist think it might begin in childhood or adolescence. Specifically, after a stressor or horrible event. In short, there can be many reasons why you dislike making decisions. With that, here are a few reasons why a decision might be confusing:
• You might feel powerless
• Your significant other or kids might be affected.
• Losing control of your current life situation.
• Money issues.
• Your image might change.
• Fear of losing a comfortable status.
• Discomfort or fear of a new position.
• Losing old friends.
• • Dependence of others
• Mistrust the situation.
• Peer pressure
• More work
• No time to get used to the idea.
Overcoming the fear of Making Decision
- Start Small
- Practice Daily
- Identify Resistances to Change
- Use Strategic Decision-Making
- Push Past Discomfort/ Learn to Desensitize:
- Let Go of Comfort Zones
- Release Fear of Failure
- Use Self-Forgiveness
- Gather Information to Disarm Fear
- Learn When to Stop Searching