These Mzansi musicians may be gone, but their music is timeless and continues to outlive them here in South Africa, which keep us entertain in their absence.
Here are five MZANSI MUSICIANS WHO’VE PASSED ON, BUT THEIR LEGACY STILL LIVES ON!
1. Brenda Fassie, whose real name is Brenda Nokuzola Fassie, gave Mzansi good music and smash hits such as Weekend Special and Black President. The musician passed away in 2004. She was 40 when she passed on.
2. Trumpeter Hugh Masekela was well-known for his great work across the globe and gave his fans a smash hit titled Thuma Mina. The singer passed away when he was 79 in 2018.
3. Kwaito singer Lebo Mathosa her career was cut short in the music industry as she passed away when she was 29 in 2003, but her songs such as Free and Ntozabantu are still making waves around. The singer has her biopic film in the pipeline that follows her life.
4. Rapper HHP, whose real name is Jabulani Tsambo, has helped many young talents reach for their dreams, and his work was well delivered. The Tswana hitmaker passed away when he was 38 in 2018 and left many of his fans heartbroken.
5. Afro-soul singer Robbie Malinga managed to bring new sound in the music scenes and helped pave for musicians like Kelly Khumalo and Musa Sukwene. The Baby Please hitmaker passed away when he was 49 in 2017.