- Werewolf Cards
- Werewolf Tokens
- Smart phone or Tablet 4 or more players (ideally 5-8)
- 15 minutes per game
- Soft table cloth/towel/mat
- Recommended: Speaker (especially with 5 or more players)
Pick one person to be game facilitator.
This person will read the rules out loud, and manage the App.
Set up the playing area in a circle, making sure that there’s enough room for players to move around without being felt/heard by another player.
Depending on the role, some players will need to move cards so make sure that all players can reach the middle of the table.
Put a table cloth/towel/mat in the middle of the table so that the cards are easily picked up, moved around and seen without any noises heard.
The game requires one role for each player and 3 extra roles to go to the middle of the table (see setup image above).
Decide which roles you are going to play with.
Here’s a list of basic role suggestions for beginners:
- 4 players – Werewolf, Seer, Robber, Troublemaker, Drunk, Insomniac, Tanner
- 5 players – Werewolf, Seer, Robber, Troublemaker, Drunk, Insomniac, Hunter, Tanner
- 6 players – Werewolf, Minion, Seer, Robber, Troublemaker, Drunk, Insomniac, Hunter, Tanner
- 7 players – Werewolf, Werewolf, Minion, Seer, Robber, Troublemaker, Drunk, Insomniac, Hunter, Tanner
- 8 players – Werewolf, Werewolf, Minion, Mason, Mason, Seer, Robber, Troublemaker, Drunk, Insomniac, Tanner
Once you’ve decided on the roles, find the cards for the roles and their corresponding tokens.
Read each role aloud to all players so that everyone is aware of which roles are in the game and what they do.
Place the role tokens on the table face up so that everyone can clearly remember which roles are in play.
These tokens remain on the table face up for the remainder of the game.
Shuffle the Werewolf cards and hand out one card to each player face down, including one to the game facilitator (All players play in all games as the App tells people what to do).
Put the 3 leftover cards face down in the middle.
Instruct each player to read their role carefully without showing anyone else and put it facedown in front of them once they’re done.
Make sure all cards can be reached by all players as cards may need to be moved by other players.
Game facilitator, download and install the free app ‘one night ultimate werewolf’ on your smart phone or tablet using the App Store or Google Play. Hook it up to a speaker if possible.
Go into the App and select all roles that are in play.
Start with 10 minutes per round and update it if it’s too short or long.
Press Play on the App and it will say ‘Everyone close your eyes’.
This is called the Night phase as in you go to bed.
The App will call for players with certain roles to open their eyes and perform actions.
It tells you exactly what to do.
Do not look at cards unless specifically told to do so.
Ignore any unintentional sounds you may hear throughout the night phase as this is not part of the game.
Use a speaker with the App to minimise hearing moves during the night phase.
When the App says ‘Everyone wake up’, you are now in the Day Phase.
No cards are to be seen from now on until the game is over.
Some cards have been moved during the Night phase.
You are what you wake up as so you may wake up to a different role to the one you saw before you went to sleep in the Night phase.
As players divulge which moves they made and you suspect they’re telling the truth and your role is now something different, you need to start behaving in accordance with the new role:
For example: –
- You may go to bed as the Seer and the Troublemaker has swapped your card with another player who was a Werewolf. You are now a Werewolf. You now need to behave as the Werewolf and deflect attention from yourself at all costs.
- You went to bed as the Werewolf and the Robber has robbed your card which means you are now the Robber. Your job is to determine that you are now a villager and can admit you were a Werewolf and that the Robber is now the bad guy.
- You were the Drunk and you swapped your card with a card in the middle. During the game, the Seer says that one card in the middle is the Minion card. You realise you are now the Minion and you need to deflect attention from anyone suspicious.
Throughout the day faze, you’re trying to determine what your role is, who your allies are, create trust and deflect suspicion off from yourself to manipulate your desired outcome
Once the timer on the App runs out, The App says ‘Everyone vote’.
Everyone points to the person they think is the Werewolf.
The person with the most votes is killed.
If the person dying was a Werewolf, the Village team wins.
If the person dying was a Villager, the Werewolf team wins.
If the person dying was on their own team, neither the Werewolf nor the Village team wins.
This game is now over. Everyone shows their own card to determine exactly how the cards were moved.